David coaches founders, CEOs, and high potential emerging executives who want to develop their leadership capacity. David is an experienced CEO, mentor, advisor and coach to leaders who seek to be more at ease and impactful in their work and more deeply connected with those whom they lead. Drawing on his training and experience as a coach along with 20 years in multiple CEO roles, David provides leaders with personal development in a business leadership context.
David’s clients are often amidst major challenges and transformations: founding companies; raising capital; establishing trust with co-founders and board members; launching new products; building and leading teams; changing roles; and aligning people with strategy to scale impact. His clients appreciate his compassion and honesty as well as his strategic and relational savvy, and include those who work in energy, clean tech, utilities, consumer Internet and mobile, legal, SaaS, enterprise software, entertainment, retail, NGOs, and government sectors.
David is a seasoned senior leader in the consumer Internet and sustainability sectors, having led two venture-backed start-ups as well as a prominent climate change-focused NGO. He has deep experience building and leading teams, overseeing all business functions from product to sales, strategic planning and managing investor and board relations.
Recent Coaching Assignments
- CEO of an online talent marketplace start-up focused on disintermediating the traditional legal profession; coaching centered on leadership skills and co-founder and Board relations.
- Founder/CEO of a SaaS carbon management start-up to develop and execute fundraising strategy
- CTO of a tech start-up to develop exit and succession plan; more effective stress management and communication skills.
- CEO of a tech-focused non-profit organization to develop leadership skills and capacity for fundraising and strategic planning
- CEO of a trade association in the energy industry to work through challenging executive team and legacy Board issues
- Commissioner of a major government agency to develop leadership capacity and ease in role in order to engender greater life balance and efficacy; worked through major role change and succession planning.
- Head of product at a clean technology/energy start-up to enhance relational and collaborative capacities and leadership skills
- Chief of Staff to a major government leader to develop more skill in dealing with challenging political dynamic with colleagues
- Product leader at F100 retailer to develop better relational, networking and group presentation skills
Education and Professional Affiliations
- Language and culture studies, Université de Paris, La Sorbonne
- B.A., English, San Francisco State University, Cum Laude
- M.B.A., Said Business School, University of Oxford, Overall Distinction
- Certified Professional Coach in Integral Coaching ®, New Ventures West
- Hogan Assessments Certification
Board Director Experience
- Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2), 2011-present
- Carbon Disclosure Standards Board, 2012-2017
- City of Pacifica Climate Change Task Force, 2010-2011
- Fan Centric, LLC, 2009-2013
- JamBase, Inc., 2006-2013
- Film Arts Foundation, 2002-2004
- MusicFans, Inc., 1997-2001