John has more than 25 years of experience as a CEO and senior executive and more than 11 years as an executive coach. John’s coaching focuses on helping clients to improve managerial competence, lead more effectively, and develop highly productive interpersonal relationships. He also focuses on assertiveness, executive presence, resolving conflict, managing anger, and building self-confidence.
John’s extensive business background gives him unique insight to help his clients deal with the complex challenges of running successful businesses. John’s corporate background includes being one of the original founders and Executive Vice President of Health Net, one of the largest HMOs in the nation. In addition, he served as the President and CEO of a subsidiary of UniHealth America, a health care system with over $3 billion in annual revenue. He was also the CEO of a Goldman Sachs portfolio company where he presided over a national organization that grew quickly through mergers and acquisitions. John uses his depth of knowledge and experience about how successful people operate within organizations to help his clients achieve remarkable results.
While his clients are largely Fortune 500 companies, John also works with executives in smaller firms. He has worked with top-level executives in the aerospace, automotive, biotech, defense, finance, healthcare, hi-tech, government, manufacturing, mining, marketing, public relations, and transportation industries, among others.
Recent Coaching Assignments
- CEO of a multinational company to redefine his role and use his personal strengths to achieve maximum impact within the organization
- CEO of a subsidiary of a large publicly-traded consumer company to help him develop his staff and reorganize his operation to achieve significantly improved business results
- Newly-appointed CEO of a large regional healthcare system to successfully transition into his new role
- CFO of a publicly-traded software development company to effectively reorganize his division around the strengths of his staff and deal more effectively with the CEO and Board of Directors.
- CEO and Chairman of a pre-IPO employee benefits company to build an effective executive team and interface more successfully with his Board of Directors
- Director of Research for a well-known hi-tech company to significantly improve his leadership and management skills, resulting in one of the highest performing research departments in the industry
- Director of Media Relations for a large defense contractor to develop her executive presence in order to position her for a promotion
- Executive Vice President of Marketing for an international manufacturer to improve his ability to successfully lead his people through a period of rapid organizational change
Education and Professional Affiliations
- Ph.D., Human and Organization Behavior, The Fielding Graduate University
- Master’s in Organization Development, The Fielding Graduate University
- M.B.A., Pepperdine University School of Business
- Certified in a number of assessments including FIRO, LIFO, MBTI, and the Strength Deployment Inventory